Disclaimer:This regimen worked for me. However, you should consult with your doctor before trying anything new, such as this DIY belly butter.
During pregnancy, a growing baby causes rapid weight gain and a woman’s skin to expand (to make room for baby). As a result, the supportive layers of tissue under the skin may begin to tear. These tears are commonly referred to as stretch marks.
A positive family history is a risk factor for stretch marks. Moreover, stretch marks are more common in younger women than in older women. However, this does not mean that avoiding stretch marks is impossible. My mother experienced stretch marks while pregnant with me and I also gained a few on my hips during my teenage years. However, I managed to make it through my first pregnancy with ZERO stretch marks. I accomplished this feat by using the DIY belly butter recipe along with these other tips for preventing stretch marks. Keeping your skin moisturized and promoting skin elasticity from within, limits the possibility of developing stretch marks.
DIY Belly Butter Ingredients
- Shea Butter (Amazon) 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil (Amazon) 1/3 cup
- Vitamin E oil (Amazon) 4 drops
- Lavender Oil (optional)
- Over low heat, mix the shea butter and coconut butter together.
- Once well incorporated, remove from heat and add vitamin E oil and essential oil (i.e. lavender) of choice.
- Pour mixture into a glass mason jar and place it in the fridge to cool.
- Lather up and enjoy mama!
Use the DIY belly butter recipe along with these other tips for preventing stretch marks during pregnancy.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. TAs an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.